This specification aims to encourage students to:
- derive enjoyment and benefit from language learning and be inspired by following a broad, coherent and worthwhile course of study;
- recognise that their linguistic knowledge, understanding and skills provide them with a suitable basis for further learning opportunities and opportunities for career progression;
- develop knowledge of and an enthusiasm for language learning skills by providing opportunities for the practical use of Spanish;
- develop the confidence to communicate effectively in Spanish;
- develop the ability to work independently and with others;
- develop an understanding of Spanish in a variety of contexts;
- develop awareness and understanding of Spanish-speaking countries and communities;
- take their place as a citizen in a multilingual, global society.
Contexts for Learning
Students develop their knowledge and understanding by studying three Contexts for
- Context for Learning 1: Identity, Lifestyle and Culture;
- Context for Learning 2: Local, National, International and Global Areas of Interest;
- Context for Learning 3: School Life, Studies and the World of Work.
Listening (25%) - There are two tiers of entry in this external exam: Foundation (35 mins); and Higher (45 mins).
Speaking (25%) - One teacher-facilitated and externally marked speaking examination.
There is one tier of entry. The test lasts 7-12 minutes, plus 10 minutes of supervised preparation time.
Reading (25%) - There are two tiers of entry in this external exam: Foundation (50 mins); and Higher (60 mins).
Writing (25%) - There are two tiers of entry in this external written exam: Foundation (1 hour); and Higher (1 hour 15 mins).
Every summer from 2018 - Students must take at least 40 percent of the assessment (based on unit weightings) at the end of the course as terminal assessment. Candidates may choose to enter individual units at different tiers.
Trips to Spain, Visiting Speakers and Visits to Language Schools in Spain.
Specification link: www.ccea.org.uk/qualifications/gcse
Unit 1 -Speaking (30%
Unit 2 - Writing (30%)
Unit 3 - Listening (20%)
Unit 4 - Reading (20%)
- 2 speaking and writing assessments are carried out in Year 11, and 2 in Yr 12;
- listening and reading assessments are carried out in May of Year 12.