St Vincent de Paul 2019-20
As a Catholic Society of young people we are humbly inspired by the words of Frederic Ozanam, founder of the SVP Society, who said: "In my life I want to become better and do a little good".
In 2006, St. Colman's College Newry held their first ever St Vincent de Paul conference, founded by Mr McMahon and since then it has been an overwhelming success.
St Vincent de Paul is co-ordinated by Mr McMahon and whilst the society is predominately made up of S4 students, there are students from all year groups who also play an important and active role in our work.
The Conference up until recently met weekly but in recent times the Conference has focussed on offering wide ranging areas of fundraising and support.
The SVP Conference has succeeded in recruiting hundreds of volunteers over the past 13 years, many of whom have gone on to join SVP Conferences in 3rd Level Institutions. St Colman's is indebted to the selfless nature of the volunteers, and the staff of Violet Hill are very proud of their efforts in fundraising, community outreach and education.
Below are just some of the many activities that the SVP Conference in St Colman's has been involved in;
- Visitation to guests in Ashgrove Nursing Home Newry
- Attendance at SVP Youth Conference in Belfast
- St Colman's Got Talent (talent competition fundraiser)
- Battle of the Bluebottles (5 a side tournament)
- Fundraising thousands of pounds
- Assisting St Joseph's Conference with Smooth Running Og Annual Christmas Charity Lunch
- Contributing to the Clare Lodge Project Newcastle
- Homework Club for Non-National primary school pupils